Keeping your business moving.
We understand the dynamics and ongoing evolution of the global supply chain and how even minor disruptions can adversely impact businesses that deliver mobility, transportation and logistics services. We have a highly adept team of industry-focused attorneys, some of whom have served as general counsel and C-suite executives at some of the nation’s largest manufacturing and logistics companies. We provide business-minded solutions, not just legal opinions, to help suppliers meet surging consumer expectations and demands for efficiency, speed and ease-of-use technology.
Our clients include logistics providers, manufacturers, warehouse operators, freight forwarders, motor carriers, rail operators, airlines, customs brokers, shippers, insurers, and capital providers. We advise on federal and state licensing requirements and environmental regulations, commercial contracts, insurance/risk management, dispute avoidance and resolution, and employment matters. Whether operating in high-risk environments or under tight budget constraints, we offer full-scale legal support underscored by a commitment to staying at the forefront of any developments likely to impact suppliers and their bottom line.
Need something? Our Supply Chain team leader can point you in the right direction.
Eric A. Baker
To add value across our clients’ operations, we have assembled a versatile cross-practice team of attorneys, all with significant experience advising distribution, transportation and logistics companies. We offer responsive, outcome-focused support through the following services:
- Providing legal advice relating to a variety of corporate transactions such as contracts, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, purchases, sales, and taxation.
- Providing guidance to public and corporate Boards and staff.
- Assisting in the procurement of financing to fund new and ongoing development.
- Advising on project development and the construction of facilities, including contract drafting and administration, bid disputes and contract claims and litigation.
- Negotiating lease and purchase agreements for property, equipment and carriers.
- Handling negotiations or disputes with shippers, freight forwarders, brokers or warehousemen.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements and handling all aspects of labor relations.
- Representing employers in all facets of employment law, including drafting employment policies, advising on day-to-day personnel issues and representing employers in state and federal litigation.
- Advising companies on grant writing and issues involving land use and zoning, permitting, right-of-way and related issues before government agencies.
- Protecting clients’ brands through copyright and trademarks.
- Counseling clients on the latest advancements of blockchain technology and implementing digital currency use in the logistics industry.
- Developing and implementing risk avoidance and management strategies with respect to corporate structure, insurance requirements and captive insurance arrangements.
Maintaining compliance with state and federal law is paramount to the success of our clients’ supply chain operations. Our attorneys routinely advise on all aspects of national, state and local compliance, including:
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations
- Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) regulations and grants
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Risk management and safety program development
- Federal and state licensing requirements
- Drug and alcohol testing practices
- Employee handbooks and employment practices
- Environmental regulations
- Financing regulations
- Agency policy, rules and regulation
Our international trade attorneys work with clients to develop customized internal policies and procedures that aid company directors, officers, owners and employees in their efforts to comply with international trade regulations. We advise on the following:
- U.S. export controls, including the international traffic in arms regulations (ITAR), export administration regulations (EAR), Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anti-boycott legislation.
- U.S. sanctions and embargos administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- Customs law (from tariff classification to valuation), marking and duty preference regimes, including USMCA and other free trade agreements.
We also counsel clients on all aspects of Customs laws and import regulations, including ways to maximize import margins through classification and valuation and to resolve potentially problematic Customs’ audits, shipment holds and penalty notices.
Our attorneys also excel in navigating clients through the complex regulatory terrain governing exports. We assist clients in accurately classifying and obtaining export licenses for their product lines; establishing export compliance plans; and creatively and comprehensively remedying any export-related risks, investigations, violations and administrative penalties.
Our attorneys have the knowledge, skill and experience to effectively meet our clients’ general litigation needs whenever disputes or claims arise in any area of their operations. Our attorneys recognize that understanding our clients’ business and the industries they serve is paramount to efficient dispute avoidance and resolution solutions. Whether in high-stakes multidistrict litigation or in strategy meetings, we bring innovative, timely and strategic advice to help solve complex legal issues to achieve our clients’ business goals.
Our attorneys are armed with the knowledge, skill and experience to meet our commercial transportation clients’ liability and litigation needs. We also offer a dedicated accident response team that remains on call to assist clients in the first minutes and hours after a serious accident. With accident reconstruction experts and other consultants at the ready, we are able to protect our clients’ interests from the very outset of a liability claim.
Our team has successfully managed, resolved and defended hundreds of claims at every level, from property damage and minor injuries to catastrophic losses and multiple fatalities. Whether serving as national or regional counsel, we look for creative, cost-effective ways to promote efficiencies of scale and uniformity in claim management procedures, while working aggressively towards a fair and prompt resolution for our clients.
Active in Your Industry
Our attorneys are active members of major trade associations and other industry groups, including:
Trucking Industry Defense Association | American Trucking Association
Indiana Motor Truck Association | Truckload Carriers Association
Explore our latest insights on legal developments impacting your industry.
FMCSA Extends Waiver Regarding Third Party CDL Skills Test Examiners
December 1, 2021
FMCSA Extends and Amends National Emergency Declaration
December 1, 2021
Cashing in on Personal Data? Not So Fast!
June 2, 2021
Blockchain’s Hidden Power in the Supply Chain
February 11, 2021